Saturday, February 23, 2008

A glass of Wine with a side-order of p2p please!


So I promised I would try my luck with p2p and music on Kubuntu for my next post, so here it is.
Im a regular in several chatrooms (As well as an Admin) on the Ares Galaxy p2p servers, so Ares was my first choice for p2p software, after finding out that Ares isnt available on Linux I was puzzled as what to do, So I hopped on MSN and spoke to one of the server owners and he said I should try my luck with Wine, for those who dont know, Wine is essentially a Windows emulator for Unix based operating systems, it allows you to run software for Windows under Unix based operating systems such as Linux, meaning Kubuntu - So I grabbed Wine and was thrilled to see it allowed me to install Ares with no issues - My next step was to see if Ares would run without any tweaks needed (As its open source). To my suprise Ares runs smoothly and without any flaws under Wine!
Im downloading mp3's as we speak (Arrr Im a pirate!) though I thought I might say - I only download music I cant find on iTunes :P .

-Kiefer

No comments: