Tuesday, August 26, 2008

MPlayer > iTunes


Okay so I'll admit it, I'm not the most reliable blogger of all time, heh.
But for my return I've decided to post about MPlayer, well not so much MPlayer, but running it through terminal.
Over the last six months I have learnt a lot about Linux, I have switched to Ubuntu, become a contributor (programming, more on that in the future) and done extensive editing of system files without too much hazard. But one of the things that has stood out to me is how much use someone can make of the terminal, I now play all my music through terminal (MPlayer), edit system files (vi[m]), code (again, vi[m]), and various other things like configuring my wireless device (again, more on this in further posts).
So, lets get to it, whats so great about MPlayer through terminal? well, for one- No GUI, meaning less system load for people with slower PC's (such as myself, new computer in the next week, hooray!). Second of all, all the controls are extremely simple to remember, and i mean extremely simple.
If you wanna check out MPlayer, run:

sudo apt-get install mplayer

..and enjoy the simplicity!
-Kiefer

P.S: More posts coming soon guys ;D

No comments: