Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Picking a distro, made easy!

Okay, this is going to be another relatively short post once again, Im sorry. One of the most common questions we are faced with in ##linux on IRC is "What is the right distro for me? I am into ". And nine times out of ten we will link you to a handy site named DistroWatch.
DistroWatch's main aim is to provide resources for people either having trouble picking a distro, or who want more information on a specific distro. I personally didn't use DistroWatch myself when picking out my first Linux distro- a friend suggested Ubuntu and I trusted him and went with it, and haven't looked back. Of course a lot of the time, im afraid to say; it comes down to trial and error, pick a distro you think will suit you, try it out and if you decide it isn't for you, move on. But I'm going to do a backflip here and also suggest you give it time, no distro is perfect for everyone under its default configuration. So play around with it and explore, you may surprise yourself!

No comments: